Wednesday 1 March 2017

Film Poster Drafts


Following the simple draft I produced earlier, I've now made more changes. I decided to move the title to above our character's head instead of on her body, in order to be able to fit the credits on neatly. I also added a tagline above the title, saying "TRUST NOBODY". This links strongly to our production, as Delilah betrays the trust of her friends, and eventually kills them. It's also a direct mode of address, telling the audience not to trust anybody, and it aims to make them ask WHY they shouldn't trust anyone, therefore enticing them into seeing the film. I added two full-stops withing this tagline to put an emphasis on each individual word, therefore coming across with a more powerful effect. I used a font named "Men of Nihilist", as it is easy to read, and the letter 'N' has very sharp edges that could resemble a knife, further linking it to our production. I also added a gradient effect to the background of the poster. After reviewing how it looked with a plain white background, I came to the conclusion that it looked more like a dark-romance film poster rather than a horror. Having the black part of the background fade out at our character's shoulders looks well, as she is almost being consumed by darkness (something that happens to her in our production). However the white area of the background balances it out, representing her transition from good to evil, summarising her anti-hero status''.


I started to construct the credits for our poster, using the "SF Movie Poster" font, giving a realistic feel to the poster. I featured our production company's name, as well as mentioning everybody who acted in the film, (myself, Lucy and Faith). I then listed various parts of the production process along with who took on the main role within it. Below the credits, I added the link to a Facebook, Twitter and Production Company webpage, so that people who would view the poster can get interactive and follow all updates regarding our film. I also added the Facebook logo, and am currently working on getting a high-resolution black and white Twitter logo to add that will fit the colour scheme. This helps audiences to instantly recognise the social media platforms if they do not at first read the links. Adding a website for our production company creates a buzz around us, and would allow them to look into more projects we'd be working on. I chose the colour white for the credits as it stands out on the the black clothing, and is also readable on the lighter areas of her arms. I also altered the colour of the tagline from dark red to black, so that it doesn't clash with the title, as previously it could have been misinterpreted as being a part of the title. It also helps both itself and the title to stand out to audiences, more prominently the title, which is the only red aspect within the poster.


Following feedback on my previous draft, I've decided to alter a number of features on the poster. I've changed both the release date and the tagline to a sans-serif font, as I was told that they distracted from the title, with the tagline actually looking like part of the title itself. The sans-serif font on both is more consistent with my magazine, and is still effectively bold on the poster. I inverted the colour of the tagline from black to white, so that it could be viewable on the dark background, and added a light glow to it which complements the anti-hero aspect of Delilah, emphasising her innocent side alongside the evil. I moved the tagline downwards in order to increase the size of our film's title, as that needs to be the most prominent part of the poster to get the audience to remember it.



For the final draft of my poster, I removed the gradient background and instead went for a pitch black one instead, as it is more conventional of the horror genre and gives off a much darker atmosphere. I also reduced the size of the release date, as it distracted from the tagline and title. I then moved the both of the logos to either side of it to even out the layout to my poster. Two blood splatters have been added to the top of the poster to prevent it from looking bare, and they are also conventional of the horror genre, complimenting the knife that our character is holding. I also altered the colour of the eyes to red in order to have stronger similarities to the magazine cover, which will also feature red eyes on it. Red eyes have connotations of evil, contrasting with the colour grey of our character on the poster which suits an anti-hero. The most notable change I made to my poster however was changing the image to black and white, which fits more into the conventions of horror than the previously coloured image, which was too bright to be considered 'scary'. The image on our magazine cover is also likely to be black and white, therefore increasing continuity between our products.

No comments:

Post a Comment